Re: New TAG issue: genericResources-53

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 14:40:29 -0500
To: Vincent Quint <Vincent.Quint@inrialpes.fr>
Cc: public-tag-announce@w3.org, www-tag@w3.org

>All,
>
>At the latest teleconference the TAG has accepted a new issue,
>genericResources-53:
>   A generic resource is a conceptual resource which may stand for
>   something which has different versions over time, different translations,
>   and/or different content-type representations. How should one indicate
>   the relationship between these?
>
>It is now part of the TAG issues list. Refer to the list for more details and
>to track future progress:
>
>    http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html#genericResources-53
>
>For the TAG,
>Vincent Quint, TAG co-chair.

Can you tell us, or point us to where it is told,
what a 'conceptual resource' is? The phrase does
not seem to occur anywhere else in the TAG issues
list, and I have not seen it before. Is this a
new kind of resource, or do y'all mean to refer
to something that is not really a resource but
might mistakenly be thought to be one?

I note that the only extant definition of
'resource' describes it as a function from time
to representations, so I presume that something
that 'has different versions over time' can
already be considered to be a resource. If this
impression is mistaken, I would be grateful for
correction on the matter.

Thanks.

Pat Hayes

>--------------
>Vincent Quint                       INRIA Rhône-Alpes
>INRIA                               ZIRST
>e-mail: Vincent.Quint@inria.fr      655 avenue de l'Europe
>Tel.: +33 4 76 61 53 62             Montbonnot
>Fax:  +33 4 76 61 52 07             38334 Saint Ismier Cedex
>                                     France

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell