RE: Where to discuss versioning finding (was: Re: http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/versioning)

David Orchard writes:

> Well, there's 2 complicating factors:
>
> One is that the Schema WG is having it's discussions on a member only
> list and their documents are member only.  This makes it difficult for
> to talk about versioning related schema 1.1 documents on a public list.
> I've already had one comment about that.

The schema WG voted some time ago to make its discussions relating to
versioning public, and in particular to allow for their discussion on
public-xml-versioning@w3.org.  Indeed, the vote to make those discussions
public was taken largely because of the understanding that work done in
conjunction with the TAG needs to be on public lists whenever possible.  I
suggest you confirm with workgroup chair David Ezell and the Schema WG
itself that they would be willing to make promptly available on the public
lists the pieces of their work necessary to support the discussion we're
having here.

> Second is that the purpose of the TAG finding has drastically changed
> form xml-versioning to versioning.  I'm not sure that the xml-versioning
> list should follow that transition as well.

Hmm, that point seems to carry a bit more weight for me.  Still, I think
part of the reason for creating the public-xml-versioning@w3.org was a
suspicion that a detailed discussion of versioning was likely to take a
higher rate of traffic than some readers of www-tag would want to see. I'm
not sure that's changed. So, I'm tempted to suggest that we broaden the
scope of public-xml-versioning@w3.org and have the discussion there,
largely so that people won't feel so bound by the suggestion that "If a
thread goes back and forth three times without anybody suggesting textual
changes to the document, something's wrong." [1] That's a good rule that
should be observed more often for most TAG discussions;  I suspect that
versioning is a sufficiently big and wide open topic that sticking to such
limits for it would prove difficult.

As I said before, I'm OK with either public list, as long as we're clear
that it's the one and let the discussion happen with all the necessary
detail and back-n-forth.  I'm unhappy if the discussion is split, messages
are frequently cross posted, etc.

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/#tag-attn

--------------------------------------
Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142
1-617-693-4036
--------------------------------------

        "David Orchard" <dorchard@bea.com>
        Sent by: www-tag-request@w3.org
        07/27/2006 01:51 PM
One is that the Schema WG is having it's discussions on a member only
list and their documents are member only.  This makes it difficult for
to talk about versioning related schema 1.1 documents on a public list.
I've already had one comment about that.

Second is that the purpose of the TAG finding has drastically changed
form xml-versioning to versioning.  I'm not sure that the xml-versioning
list should follow that transition as well.

Cheers,
Dave

Of
> noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
> Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 8:34 AM
> To: www-tag@w3.org
> Cc: Bryan Rasmussen
> Subject: Where to discuss versioning finding (was: Re:
> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/versioning)
>

> Hmm. I thought that, due to the shared interest in versioning, I.e.
among
> the TAG, the XML Schema WG and others, we had agreed to use
> public-xml-versioning@w3.org to discuss this draft finding, but I note
> that the draft currently says:  "Please send comments on this finding
>
> Bryan has made and interesting post, and given the instructions in the
> draft finding his sending it to www-tag@w3.org is appropriate.  Still,
I'm