RE: [metadataInURI-31] New draft of "Use of Metadata in URIs" for consideration at F2F

[At Noah's request, this is a revised re-post, on-list, of some comments
that I made to Noah off-list]

Hello Noah,

I've taken a pass over the latest draft and used MS Word to annotate
comments into a copy. I've posted the resulting 'html' and a PDF
versions to www-archive@w3.org [1][2].[Aside: I have yet to find good
alternative for annotating comments into an HTML document so that they
can be read in context.]

Anyway... take the embedded comments for what they are worth. There are
certainly no changes that I would insist that you make.

I think that the only thing that I found a little jarring in places was
an almost implicit presumption that say words like Chicago or Boston
embedded in a URI are metadata. I found myself not wanting to allow them
to be metadata, and I think that the only circumstances where I think
I'd be willing to conceded that they were metadata is where the
assignment authority had structured their URIs for the express purpose
of being able to parse them and extract metadata from them. If someone
happens to presume some sgement of a URI to be metadata without that
being the express purpose of the URI authority... then in general... I
don't think that it is. That probably not a very good or sound
distinction... but I think that the intent of the URI
authority/publisher is important.

Keep up the good work.

Many thanks and best regards,

Stuart