Proposal for short namespace URIs for W3C TRs [Was: XBL Namespace uses the data: scheme

From: Ian B. Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:25:07 -0500
To: www-tag@w3.org
> DanC wrote:
> I still have my reservations, but I'm getting the impression that this
> policy is going to change soonish.
> We're currently considering
> 	http://www.w3.org/ns/foo
> e.g.
> 	http://www.w3.org/ns/xbl
> If the random years issue is the main concern, I suppose that should
> suffice.
> The system administration cost of changing the domain name part
> (http://ns.w3.org/foo or http://w3.org/ns/foo or http://w3.org/foo )
> seems high; changing that looks like more trouble than it's worth.
> Issuing yearless URIs to replace existing namespace names also seems
> like more trouble than it's worth, to me, but who knows... the future
> is longer than the past, and if people are willing to do all the hard
> work to work out a transition plan and get it reviewed using normal W3C
> process (last call, CR, etc.), perhaps that's not a bad thing.

Hi all,

There was Team discussion and support today for this amendment to

 1) Namespace URIs in W3C Technical Reports may have the
    following syntax (using xhtml2 as an example):

    (It is not yet clear that that is the preferred syntax.)

 2) Director approval is required for a namespace URI with
    the new syntax.

 3) We should avoid confusion when using a given shortname
    in both /TR/ and /ns/ spaces.

I would be interested in hearing whether there is support in
this forum.

 _ Ian

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447