Re: [VoiceXML 2.1] New scripting media types

* Mark Baker wrote:
>The definition of "OBSOLETE" in RFC 4288 (which RFC 4239 fails to
>normatively reference, I note) says;

That's a timing problem, the IESG did not approve what is now RFC 4288
until some months after it approved what is now RFC 4329 and there was
no reason to delay the latter (it turns out it would not have delayed
it, but that was unknown back then).

>However little guidance is given as to what "appropriate for use"
>means.  Though the text/* types have well known drawbacks, they are
>also the only types supported by the vast majority of deployed
>software and so seem perfectly appropriate for use to me.

For the MIME Content-Type header, most implementations simply ignore
it for scripts. Also note that the vast majority of web servers are
configured to use application/x-javascript for such resources, not
any of the text/* types. RFC 4329 provides guidance when to use the
obsolete types.