Re: Principle of Least Power (was Re: Agenda of 7 February 2006 T AG teleconference)

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 08:04 -0500, Elliotte Harold wrote:
> Dan Connolly wrote:
>
> > Schematron is turing-complete, as I understand. DTDs are not.
>

> Schematron is not Turing complete. It has no loops or recursion.

Ah. Thanks for correcting my misimpression.

> remember it is based on XPath (not Turing complete) rather than XSLT
> (Turing complete). It is often implemented in XSLT, but it does not
> provide full access to XSLT from the Schematron language itself.

I suspect it's still more expressive than DTDs, though I'm not certain.
Surely the XPath string and numeric operations are more expressive
than DTDs. Seems like an interesting research topic.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E