Re: Very rough draft of outline for TAG submssion to Workshop on Web of Services for Enterprise Computing

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

> Not everything can be HTTP, but not everything needs to be on the Web
either.

Right, and when I said earlier I'd try to put a bit more balance into the
paper that's in part what I had in mind.  There's a sense in which the Web
Services initiative is targeting some things that are not and quite
possibly should not be "on the Web".  It's also true IMO that there are
some important opportunities being missed to integrate the two approaches:
 I.e. to name resources with URIs, to use HTTP GET (possibly returning
SOAP envelopes) for safe retrievals that don't require the higher
qualities of service offered by the upper levels of the WS* stack
(reliable delivery in the face of intermittent network failure,
transactions running for several days, etc.)

(and in a later note Elliotte wrote):

> "balance" is all too often a false ideal. Sometimes one point of
> view is right and one is wrong. Facts should not be balanced by fiction.

Well, I'm not intending to play all sides just for the sake of being
agreeable, but I am glad to try and paint a balanced view.  In any case, I
think the whole value of a workshop like this is to get a respectful
hearing for differing perspectives.  Even insofar as the TAG may have more
detailed expertise and experience to share regarding Web and REST
technologies, I know that we're interested in participating in the
workshop as much to learn from others as to promote our own ideas.  From
that perspective, I'm more interested in what our positions will be coming
out of the workshop than going in.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation