Re: TAG Issue proposal: URIs should not be hierarchical

From: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:11:26 -0400
To: www-tag@w3.org
/ Fernando Franco <avoid.spam.account@gmail.com> was heard to say:
| URIs are names.
| Names are not hierarchical.

Uhm. I don't think that's true. I think "Walsh, Norman, D." is a clear
example of a hierarchical name. In my folk's house, if you shout
"Walsh!" you're as like as not to get two or more replies. But "Walsh,
Norman, D!" is (under normal circumstances) unique.

I suppose you could argue that "Walsh, Norman D." is not hierarchical
but is compound in some other way. However, I think that argument,
whatever it is, would apply equally to /walsh/norman/d so I'm not sure
it would help.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--