Re: Proposal for short namespace URIs for W3C TRs [Was: XBL Namespace uses the data: scheme

Hello www-tag,

I have heard two expressions of support for this proposal in this forum
and no objections. I anticipate discussing implementation with the
Director in the next few weeks.

Thank you,

 _ Ian

On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 08:25 -0500, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
> > DanC wrote:
> >
> > I still have my reservations, but I'm getting the impression that this
> > policy is going to change soonish.
> > We're currently considering
> > 	http://www.w3.org/ns/foo
> > e.g.
> > 	http://www.w3.org/ns/xbl
> >
> > If the random years issue is the main concern, I suppose that should
> > suffice.
> >
> > The system administration cost of changing the domain name part
> > (http://ns.w3.org/foo or http://w3.org/ns/foo or http://w3.org/foo )
> > seems high; changing that looks like more trouble than it's worth.
> >
> > Issuing yearless URIs to replace existing namespace names also seems
> > like more trouble than it's worth, to me, but who knows... the future
> > is longer than the past, and if people are willing to do all the hard
> > work to work out a transition plan and get it reviewed using normal W3C
> > process (last call, CR, etc.), perhaps that's not a bad thing.
>
> Hi all,
>
> There was Team discussion and support today for this amendment to
> http://www.w3.org/2005/07/13-nsuri:
>
>  1) Namespace URIs in W3C Technical Reports may have the
>     following syntax (using xhtml2 as an example):
>      http://www.w3.org/ns/xhtml2
>
>     (It is not yet clear that that is the preferred syntax.)
>
>  2) Director approval is required for a namespace URI with
>     the new syntax.
>
>  3) We should avoid confusion when using a given shortname
>     in both /TR/ and /ns/ spaces.
>
> I would be interested in hearing whether there is support in
> this forum.
>
>  _ Ian

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447