RE: Approved TAG finding: Authoritative Metadata

> From:  Hugh Winkler
> . . .
>
> Many server vendors have not provided adequate support for authors to
> generate the correct Content-type headers. They did not understand the
> authoritative aspect of content-type by reading RFC 2616 and
> predecessors. Put a different way, they placed a different semantic on
> Content-type. So there are content-type headers being served up out
> there, some adhering to one, authoritative semantic, and others
> adherign to a less authoritative, more "hinty" one. Wrongly, we think,
> but there you are.
>

> The real problem is a user agent can't know which semantic the server
> has used. Same header name, different meanings.
>
> If servers added new information, maybe a new parameter on
> Content-type e.g. "Content-type: text/html;
> charset=utf-8;authoritative=yes"
>
> Then browsers could distinguish between the two. Whenever a browser
> encountered a missing "authoritative" parameter, well, things would be
> no worse than now. When it does encounter the "authoritative" content,
> the server promises reliable content types.

You raise an important practical point, but I would imagine that the
same tool vendors who are doing it wrong now would again mindlessly add
"authoritative=yes" to their generated headers, regardless of the
document's actual content type.  Then, to distinguish that misuse from
really authoritative usage we'd have to add yet another attribute
"really-authoritative=yes".  And then the same thing would happen all
over again, and we'd have to add "really-really-authoritative=yes", and
so on.

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
dbooth@hp.com