Re: Approved TAG finding: Authoritative Metadata

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 20:35:41 +0000 (UTC)
To: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Cc: W3C TAG <www-tag@w3.org>
On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, Karl Dubost wrote:

> Le 14 août 06 à 15:32, Ian Hickson a écrit :
> > >
> > > So you sent a bug report, thinking there will be no solutions.
> >
> > I outlined the solution in the bug report that you quoted.
>
> I can accept many things. I can accept to be wrong. It has happened many
> times and it will happen again. But I really do not understand your bug
> report.

Ah. Apologies. My request in the bug was for the validator to not try to
sniff XHTML content in documents sent as text/html, but to instead always
validate text/html files as HTML files, reporting any XHTML DOCTYPEs sent
in text/html files as being an error. This would be in line with the TAG's
findings and with the HTML WG's public statements regarding UA behaviour.

HTH,