Re: Approved TAG finding: Authoritative Metadata

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 16:00:10 -0700
To: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: "W3C TAG" <www-tag@w3.org>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
On 8/8/06, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:

> Ian, the finding calls for the feature to be configurable by the user
> and does not require a specific default.  The feature could be as simple
> as placing a little smiley/frowny icon in the corner of a window that
> indicates whether or not the content is in error.  If a site "breaks"
> because of such behavior, then the browser implemented it wrong.

These "validation wars" have been raging since the early days of the Web and
the answer has always been the same. I don't see how the lack of such a
feature can be described as anything but inattention or low priority to
standards compliance.

Ian, surely this idea has arisen in your many discussions with browser
vendors. What is their opposition to having a strict standards-compliance
warning mode?

Paul Prescod