Re: Approved TAG finding: Authoritative Metadata

Ian Hickson wrote:

> I've been pushing for Web browser vendors to fix this for approximately
> eight years, roughly half the lifetime of HTTP so far.

There is also a world of Web agents that aren't browsers.  We're working
through the nits of the first wave of Atom Publishing Protocol
implementations, and the server is required to different things
depending on whether you send Atom (application/atom+xml) or something
else, and this is being done with the Content-Type and works well.

I don't know, a few years back there were lots of people saying, in a
tone similar to Hixie's, "Give up on that CSS crap, the Web is
table-driven layouts and <font> tags that's how it's going to be, we've
tried talking to the browser guys and they won't change."

So I dunno, he might be right, but I don't think the time has come to
give up on trying to get things to work the way they were designed to
work. -Tim