Re: Approved TAG finding: Authoritative Metadata

On Aug 8, 2006, at 6:14 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> This isn't because of lazyness. This is because ANY BROWSER THAT
> ACTUALLY
> TRIES TO IMPLEMENT THESE THINGS WOULD LOSE ALL MARKET SHARE.

No, that's total speculation.  None of them have even tried to implement
a configuration option for identifying incorrect content types as an
error,
let alone deployed it in the market.  They all just whine about
priorities
and how hard it is to change the world.  I've deployed far more drastic
changes than that on the Web.  It has nothing to do with the market or
the deployed technology: all it requires is a willingness to do the
right thing instead of always copying other people's mistakes.

Your argument for sniffing completely ignores the rationale for
having content-type in the first place, as described in the finding.
It exists so that the same data format can be interpreted in
different ways, depending on the nature of the resource.  There is
no way that you can accomplish that with sniffing, just as there
is no way that HTML5 is going to change the normative interpretation
of an IETF standard.

....Roy