Re: Another Draft of TAG position on use of unregistered media types in W3C Recommendations

Well, unfortunately, your nonconcurrence made it in just under in time, as
I was about to mail this response to the AB.  Seriously, both formulations
of this are well within the range of what I personally can happily
endorse, but it sounds like Dan can't live with mine, and Raman can't live
with his.  As I say, either is fine with me.

It's really time to get something out.  I think we're basically agreed
that at the very least, workgroups should try hard to get their types
registered.  I think we're agreed that, at least in principle, there might
be justifiable exceptions, though I take it that Dan suspects that
examples are vanishingly rare and is unconvinced that he's seen an
existence proof.  Dan seems most comfortable phrasing thre rule as simply
"register it", acknowledging that most W3C processes can be bent given
suitable justification, and leaving it to the AB to propose a bending
process in this case.  Raman seems to be saying:  not good enough.  We
need to acknowledge somewhat more that there may be good reasons for not
registering.

I think I need to step out of the way on this, and encourage you two and
anyone else on the TAG who's concerned to come up with some text that you
both can endorse.  I'll be glad to send it under my name on behalf of the
TAG once it's settled, or else we can agree that one of you will.  I do
think we're overdue in getting something out, and ultimately it seems to
me that the disagreement here is sort of small.  Can we resolve this
quickly?  Thanks!

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation