Re: Another Draft of TAG position on use of unregistered media types in W3C Recommendations

I find it somewhat disturbing that we appear to  be taking a
position with respect to telling groups what to do namely,
"Attempt to get all types you used registered with IANA"
-- but then step back  when it comes to saying what a group
should do if the above fails. I believe it is fair for us to say
"You cannot create new types unless you register them
appropriately" ---
but I'm not comfortable with our   guidance to WGs on
pre-existing unregistered types.

noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com writes:

 > Dan Conolly wrote:
 >
 > > That much is fine. I don't like the last bit, but I wasn't
 > > going to object until you prompted me again ;-)
 >
 > Oh, I wouldn't have wanted to miss a chance to go another round.  Lucky
 > thing I checked :-).  Let's see if we can wrap this up.  First, let me
 > just merge the changes I think you've asked for, so you can at least
 > verify that I understood your proposal.  Is this what you intended?
 >
 > ==================YET ANOTHER DRAFT =================================
 > Members of the W3C Advisory Board have recently approached the Technical
 > Architecture Group (TAG) to ask for clarification of the guidelines
 > regarding references to unregistered media types from W3C Recommendations.
 >   The TAG briefly considered this question during their teleconference of
 > 18 July 2006 [1,2], and again on 25 July [minutes not yet available]. This
 > note is being circulated to publicize our conclusions.
 >
 > Media types and other formats referenced from W3C Recommendations should
 > be properly registered with the appropriate authority.  Nonetheless, the
 > TAG recognizes that certain such formats come into widespread use without
 > registration, and that there may thus in exceptional circumstances be
 > reasons for considering reference to unregistered types in W3C
 > Recommendations.  To emphasize that the importance attached to
 > registration, the TAG suggests the following guidelines for W3C
 > Recommendations:
 >
 > * Workgroups preparing Recommendations should avoid dependencies on media
 > types or other data formats that are not properly registered with the
 > appropriate registration authority.  In the case of MIME media types, that
 > authority is IANA.
 >
 > * Accordingly, workgroups should arrange for registration of new media
 > types that they may create, and should make reasonable efforts to promote
 > the proper registration of other formats on which their Recommendations
 > depend.
 >
 > W3C process is a balance of consensus, architecture, and timeliness; if a
 > working group requests to proceed with references to unregistered media
 > types, it's a process question to say whether the extenuating
 > circumstances are sufficient.   As the TAG is not chartered to address
 > process questions, we leave it to the Advisory Board to establish any
 > policies or just leave it to the discretion of The Director.
 >
 > Noah Mendelsohn
 > For the W3C Technical Architecture Group
 >
 > [1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2006/07/18-agenda.html
 > [2] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2006/07/18-tagmem-minutes.html#item05

 > For the record, I can easily live with that.  Just to follow up a bit, you
 > wrote:
 >
 > > On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 18:06 -0400, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:
 > > [...]
 > > > The TAG does recognize that there are a few unregistered media types
 > > > already in widespread use, and we agree that there may be exceptional
> [...]

Best Regards,
--raman

Title:  Research Scientist
Email:  raman@google.com