Re: Another Draft of TAG position on use of unregistered media types in W3C Recommendations

On 7/27/06, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> wrote:
> > The TAG does recognize that there are a few unregistered media types
> > already in widespread use, and we agree that there may be exceptional
> > cases when Recommendations would benefit from reference to such types.
>
> Well, that suggests that we think there are, currently, cases
> when Recommendations would benefit from reference
> to unregistered media types. I don't think there are.

As one example, "application/x-www-form-urlencoded" is an unregistered
type, yet normatively referenced from HTML 4;

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#h-17.13.4.1

If you had said that there aren't currently cases where the community
wouldn't benefit from the registration of unregistered types in wide
use, I'd agree completely.  Hmm, I wonder what the new registration
procedures say about experimental names...

Mark.