Re: [Fwd: simple case of IRIs for Components in WSDL 2.0] (abstractComponentRefs-37 )

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 10:02:51 -0400
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

Dan Connolly wrote:

> For one thing, because it's easier: you just stick one file in the
> right place, at 2005/08/sparql-protocol-query , and it grounds
> all the terms in the namespace.

Oh, I realize I wasn't clear.  I wasn't asking what advantages an
individual might find in chosing # vs. /, which is what I think you're
explaining.  I was asking whether there were deep architectural reasons
why the TAG would discourage this usage of / if someone should find it
useful.  For one thing, the # identifiers really aren't well grounded
unless there's a document/representation, I think.  The / forms seem to
have clearer grounding in the URI space even before someone deploys actual

representations (though we all agree that deploying retrievable
representations is desirable in any case.)

> I didn't say that was a mistake in all cases.
> I'm just arguing that doc#name is a straightforward pattern that I
> think is worth explicit support.

I think that more or less answers my question, and I agree with the
answer.  If there's any remaining
confusion we can discuss in Edinburgh.   Many thanks.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street