W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-tag@w3.org > September 2005

Draft minutes of 06 Sep telecon

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 14:46:53 -0700
Message-Id: <1802698d2607d9df43c518cb85b8deea@gbiv.com>
To: W3C TAG <www-tag@w3.org>

Draft minutes of today's TAG teleconference can be found at

    http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2005/09/06-minutes.html

and a text version is below.

Cheers,

Roy T. Fielding                            <http://roy.gbiv.com/>
Chief Scientist, Day Software              <http://www.day.com/>

====================

    W3C
                                    - DRAFT -
                            TAG Weekly Teleconference
6 Sep 2005

    Agenda
    See also: IRC log

Attendees

    Present
            Dan_Connolly, Roy_Fielding, Noah_Mendelsohn, Dave_Orchard,
            Vincent_Quint, Ed_Rice, Henry_Thompson, Norman_Walsh

    Regrets
            Tim_Berners-Lee

    Chair
            Vincent Quint

    Scribe
            Roy Fielding

Contents

      * Topics
          1. Roll Call
          2. Next meeting on 13 Sep
          3. http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2005/09/06-agenda.html
          4. Minutes of 30 Aug
          5. Agenda for Edinburgh f2f
          6. Proposed errata for webarch
          7. URNsAndRegistries-50
          8. standardizedFieldValues-51
          9. Reviewing a few pending actions
      * Summary of Action Items

       
----------------------------------------------------------------------

    <scribe> Scribe: Roy Fielding

    <scribe> ScribeNick: Roy

   Roll Call

   Next meeting on 13 Sep

    Regrets for Sep 13: Noah, Henry, TimBL

    Plan for next week is discussion of GRID. Experts have been invited  
but we
    have not heard back yet.

    VQ: should we still schedule discussion for next week if we only  
have one
    person from GRID?

    NW: yes

    Ed: yes

    NM: propose we take one round of discussion to get oriented and then
    perhaps take it further during the f2f

    NW: will find out about other experts and send info to Vincent

   http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2005/09/06-agenda.html

    no objections

   Minutes of 30 Aug

    <DanC> 30 Aug minutes

    RESOLUTION: Minutes of 30 Aug meeting approved

   Agenda for Edinburgh f2f

    VQ: I have made a pass through the issues list to prepare for a f2f  
agenda

    <DanC> ah... good...
    http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html?type=1#httpRange-14 is now  
marked
    "agreed"

    VQ: only a rough draft has been prepared so far.
    ... I would like to make progress on several of the open issues, try  
to
    close them, and make progress where possible
    ... I would also like to see some setting of priorities for the TAG

    DC: okay

    NW: that would be good

    VQ: Henry, are there constraints on the schedule at F2F?

    HT: No, we can go til midnight is desired.
    ... dinner on Tuesday will probably be at 7:30 pm, time not yet  
confirmed

    <DanC> (let's see... europe is that funny place where I wake up at 3  
or
    4am, right? so I'm happy to start earlier than 9am... much  
earlier... and
    by 5pm, you'll be lucky to communicate with my conscious self.)

    HT: do people have a preference for organizing a group meal on Wed or
    Thurs?

    all: Wed is better

    VQ: anything else about the logistics?

    <dorchard> this is all online right Henry?

    HT: location is three-story row house with lots of doors. I will  
stand out
    on the sidewalk from 8:30 to 9 or so to let people in. If you are  
late,
    enter door 2, go upstairs one level, and enter through main entrance
    [Henry will supply details]

    <ht> ... ring bell marked "HCRC", secretary will let you in and take  
you
    to the meeting

    <ht> or call my cell phone [number elided]

    <DanC> it seems to be covered at
     
http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2005/09/edinburgh-meetings- 
info.html#location

   Proposed errata for webarch

    http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/webarch/proposed-errata.html#entries

    NW: first entry is from Chris, suggests that we add an editorial
    correction and that looks fine to me
    ... anyone disagree (silence)

    <DanC> "Interpretation of prose in 3.3"

    <DanC> ^that's a pretty good name, for these minutes

    RESOLUTION: TAG agrees to CL errata 1, Interpretation of prose in 3.3

    Second errata is from Roy to update references to URI and IRI

    RESOLUTION: TAG agrees to RF errata for URI and IRI references

    <scribe> ACTION: NW to include items 1 and 2 in webarch errata  
[recorded
    in http://www.w3.org/2005/09/06-tagmem-irc]

   URNsAndRegistries-50

    http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/URNsAndRegistries-50.xml

    HT: document is not ready yet and unlikely to be able to spend more  
time
    on it before f2f

    VQ: should we spend time on it during f2f?

    HT: probably not

    DC: this topic doesn't seem to be urgent at this point

    <ht> Noah is talking about namespaceDocument-8

    NM: there is concern about use of namespace names and http, may be  
worth
    f2f time

    VQ: that is on the f2f agenda under namespaceDocument-8

    DC: IETF stated practice currently is to use URNs for namespace  
names, for
    example in geopriv (geo privacy) specs.
    ... IETF using XML in various ways and recommending use of URNs, so  
there
    is some need to recommend dereferenceable identifiers instead

   standardizedFieldValues-51

    http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html#standardizedFieldValues-51

    VQ: we have not done work on this since it was announced. does it  
make
    sense to discuss it at f2f?

    DC: people working on protocols/formats tend to start with short  
names and
    then later encounter name collision

    Roy: I agree with Dan's summary of the issue.
    ... I suggest that DC take an action to write something up ;-)

    DC: I could do that

    NM: that would be valuable to me to get a handle on the issue

    <DanC> ACTION: DanC to write an update on issue 51 and microformats
    [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/09/06-tagmem-irc]

    <DanC> [ACTION] Send link to proposal for "Compact URI Syntax"

   Reviewing a few pending actions

    VQ: http://www.w3.org/2005/02/22-tagmem-minutes#action04
    ... any progress?

    NW: no progress to report, we need to figure out who has the ball

    <Zakim> DanC, you wanted to ask who has the ball on c14n

    <DanC> HT: XML Core

    NW: I will try to write something up for f2f

    <scribe> ACTION: NW to provide something written for namespaceState  
for
    f2f [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/09/06-tagmem-irc]

    <Norm>
     
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-xml-schema-wg/2005Mar/att-0006/ 
xml-schema-f2f-minutes-2005-03-03.html#p219

    <noah> David Orchard to contextualize his scenarios, such as more on  
what
    is happening with SOAP and WSDL. [recorded in Minutes of the W3C XML
    Schema Working Group 4th (37th) F2F meeting, action TP5-8]

    that document is not public

    DO: I have made significant progress on that action, should be  
resolved
    within a week or so

    VQ: let us know when we should review something in the TAG
    ... any more items to discuss?

    <DanC> I just sent mail about namespaceDocument-8, if we want to add  
that
    today's agenda

    <DanC> ns8 stuff

    DC: last week we talked about ns8... afterwords, I remembered that  
if you
    take the whole URI of a name within a schema, remove the fragment,  
and
    dereference (like a machine), what comes back as RDDL does not have  
an id
    attribute that can be used to ground fragment ids as schema anchors
    ... straightforward solution is to place anchor ids in the namespace
    document such that they are identifiable in the dereferenced resource

    NM: I had assumed that people would want to use RDDL as a form of
    indirection. Perhaps if RDDL had its own media type then it could  
define
    its own mechanism for indirect definition of anchors

    HT: with a namespace described by multiple schema documents, one must
    acknowledge that there will be different names defined by different  
schema
    documents, and therefore the namespace document needs to act as a  
union of
    names in a complex namespace [scribe interpretation]

    <ht> The relevant Bugzilla entry for the Schema WG is 1974, so URI is
    http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=1974

    <DanC> ACTION: HT to track progress of #int in the XML Schema  
namespace
    document in the XML Schema WG [recorded in
    http://www.w3.org/2005/09/06-tagmem-irc]

    HT: in settling httpRange-14, we talked a great deal about regular  
URIs
    but not as much about URIs with fragment

    NM: when we introduced "information resource", our definition
    distinguished between obvious things but left unclear whether a  
namespace
    falls under the category of "information resource" or not

    DC: if it returns 200, then you have answered the question
    ... whether a namespace resource is an information resource or not  
is up
    to the namespace creator.

    NM: so, summary would be that it is okay for a namespace name to be  
an
    information resource provided that the URI is used consistently

    ADJOURNED

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: DanC to write an update on issue 51 and microformats
    [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/09/06-tagmem-irc]
    [NEW] ACTION: HT to track progress of #int in the XML Schema  
namespace
    document in the XML Schema WG [recorded in
    http://www.w3.org/2005/09/06-tagmem-irc]
    [NEW] ACTION: NW to include items 1 and 2 in webarch errata  
[recorded in
    http://www.w3.org/2005/09/06-tagmem-irc]
    [NEW] ACTION: NW to provide something written for namespaceState for  
f2f
    [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/09/06-tagmem-irc]

    [End of minutes]
Received on Tuesday, 6 September 2005 21:46:30 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 26 April 2012 12:47:36 GMT