Re: [putMediaType-38] reopening discussion

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 14:12:45 -0400
To: "Roy T.Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
CC: W3C TAG <www-tag@w3.org>

#2 seems to me to be the obviously correct response. If servers don't
support this, they should be changed to do so. Most servers desperately
need a lot of work on per-file MIME types anyway.

In general, far too much attention is paid to filename extensions.
Perhaps that's just my Mac background showing. I've never really
believed that any magic should be attached to adding a period and three
letters to a file name. Overloading filenames to include type
information is a poor substitute for real metadata. It's a broken,
fragile system. The Mac improved on this more than two decades ago. Why
do we insist on living in the past?