Re: Minutes of the Web Services Addressing / TAG joint meeting

On Mar 7, 2005, at 10:19 AM, Rich Salz wrote:

> Mark, you're correct that digest-auth protects the request-uri.  There
> was an extended thread on digest-auth on the xml-dev list in Jan 04;
> it turns out that digest is available more than I (or you) might
> expect.

Sorry, I meant that I didn't know if qop=auth-int were widely
implemented; then again, since you get integrity protection on the
request-uri for free even with qop=auth, the bar is lower in this
particular case. Digest auth in general is very widely supported (I use
it every day ;)

> The drawbacks to it are
> 	Requires a shared secret between client and server; barring WS-Trust
> or similar, this means "shared login password."  Ugh.
> 	Really only works with HTTP request-response MEP
> 	Doesn't fit into WS-Security

Yup.

>> Also, SSL and TLS provide security for both HTTP headers and all of
>> the request line EXCEPT for the hostname and port.
>
> Yes, but since the server name must appear in the server's
> certificate, this really comes down to just the port number.  Also,
> SSL/TLS is hop-by-hop, not end-to-end.

Well, it's end-to-end for HTTP, but not for SOAP. </quibble>

Cheers,

Office of the CTO   BEA Systems