encouraging good use of p2p

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 13:06:08 -0500
To: www-tag@w3.org
Cc: Steve Bratt <steve@w3.org>, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>

Our recent discussion of TAG future directions...

included discussion of integrating P2P distribution protocols
with the web; e.g. for the case where somebody puts a home movie
on the web, it becomes wildly popular (because media
flash-fires happen), and the load on the origin server is
spread around bittorrent-style.

Sandro pointed out in internal discussion that the recent
decision in the grokster case...
MGM Studios, Inc. v. Grokster, Ltd.

motivates the P2P to find legitimate application or endorsement
of their technology.

There may be a real opportunity for W3C here. If there are
three or more interested W3C members, I can help them get
a little group started (as open as they like) to noodle on
this some more.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E