Re: More on distinguishing information resources from other resources

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:41:20 -0500
To: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Cc: www-tag <www-tag@w3.org>

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 19:55 +0100, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
[...]
> But I've struggled a bit to come up with good examples of real http:
> URIs without fragment identifiers (all the ones above are real) which
> do _not_ identify information resources.

You mean you didn't read and memorize the contents of www-tag
when joining the group, Henry? ;-)

> So I welcome additions to this list, that is, of real http: URIs
> without fragids which evidently do _not_ identify information
> resources.

"I claimed that
http://www.markbaker.ca/ identified me, the person"
 -- http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Aug/0003.html

> And an argument to back up the claim that they don't.

Mark owns that domain, so he gets to say what that
URI denotes.

Meanwhile...

I think the community also owns that URI; if the TAG's recent
decision on httpRange-14 becomes the consensus of the community,
then the community will conclude based on the 200 responses
that seem to come back that it denotes an information resource.

I think it's plain that Mark is not an information resource,
so there's something of a contradiction, or at least a potential
contradiction, here.

While the meaning of URIs is delegated from the community
to owners, the delegation is not without limits.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E