More on distinguishing information resources from other resources

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:55:05 +0100
To: www-tag <www-tag@w3.org>

Here are some clear positive examples of URIs which identify
information resources, in three modalities/media types:

_Beethoven's Symphony No. 6_:
 http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rmhttp/radio3/symphony6_beethoven_radio3.mp3

_The Charge of the Light Brigade_:
 http://eserver.org/poetry/light-brigade.html

The XML 1.0 Recommendation:
 http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/

The W3C at 10 logo:
 http://www.w3.org/2004/09/logos/W3C10_logo_short_fc.png

It's also easy to come up with URIs which don't identify an
information resource with a name that is immediately understandable,
but I don't _think_ there's any doubt that what they identify _is_
none-the-less an information resource in each case:

The Beethoven Experience web page:
 http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/beethoven/downloads.shtml

A web page about writing about Tennyson's poetry:
 http://charon.sfsu.edu/TENNYSON/tennhelp.shtml

A web page about Tufte's famous graph of Napolean's Russian campaign:
 http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/posters

But I've struggled a bit to come up with good examples of real http:
URIs without fragment identifiers (all the ones above are real) which
do _not_ identify information resources.

The only example I've come up with so far are the ones that helped
re-open httpRange-14 [1]:
 http://ns.adobe.com/pdf/1.3/Producer [except that's a 404]
 http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/creator [except that already involves
                                          a redirect, albeit a 302]

So I welcome additions to this list, that is, of real http: URIs
without fragids which evidently do _not_ identify information
resources.

And an argument to back up the claim that they don't.

ht

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2005Mar/0104
- --
                     Half-time member of W3C Team