Re: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-hansen-2717bis-2718bis-uri-guidelines-04.txt

Larry,

(speaking for myself and not officially for the TAG)

> There will be an IETF-wide "last call" soon; if
> there are  additional comments or changes you
> would like to see, we can handle them during
> that process.

Thank you for the heads up.  The publication of the "04" version was
mentioned at the TAG F2F earlier this week.  I assume that if any other
TAG members have suggestions or concerns they will speak up.

> Please review for compatibility with W3C
> TAG "findings".

With respect specifically to the editors' draft of a finding that I've
written at [1], a few points:

* My work so far has very little official TAG status.  I suggested these
might be a fruitful areas in which to offer some clarification and
tutorials.  The TAG basically said "let's see what you come up with" and
I'm investing some time.   The TAG will decide later whether this is turns
into something we want to formally pursue as an actual finding.

* My view is that you and the IETF have the lead in setting out the core
mechanisms and guidance in RFCs such as the proposed 2717bis 2718bis.
Maybe or maybe not there will be value in having in addition a TAG finding
along the lines of the one I'm drafting.  So, in terms of "reviewing for
compatibility" with my draft in particular, I assume that my finding has
to reflect whatever you folks document as the correct story.   So, from
your end, compatibility is assured unless I mess up :-).  Of course, if I
feel I have something useful to offer regarding what the answers should be
on particular architectural points, I'll chime in.  The fact that you and
Mark Baker seem to be debating as recently as today what is in fact the
correct philosophy of URI/Protocol/resource associations reinforces my
feeling that there is remaining confusion and that you and/or we should
attempt to clarify.  Again, my view is that you should take the first step
in working with the community (e.g. Mark) to agree on principles and
document as much as you deem appropriate in 2717bis2718bis.  Anything I
propose in a TAG finding will attempt to build on that, much as AWWW helps
to explain the correct use of technology embodied in core RFCs such as
2396/3986.

* You'll note that I had already republished [1] yesterday with an updated
link to your "04" version.

Of course, if there's any additional way in which the TAG can be helpful,
I'm sure we'll be glad to try.  I've been looking quite hard at
2717bis2718bis;  I think it's a big step forward and very well done.
Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/SchemeProtocols.html

Noah Mendelsohn