Re: why newspapers use in-your-face URLs rather than real hyperlinks (deepLinking-25)

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 12:22:50 -0500
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

Dan Connolly writes:

>> which is why you'll find non-hyperlinked URLs at the
>> end of, for example,  some New York Times articles

Interesting.  Some user agents, especially those operating on plain text
rather than HTML, have heuristics that infer link semantics for any string
meeting certain criteria (e.g. http://*).  So, the provider of data gives
a "non-hyperlinked" URL, but the user agent presents a link.  Hard for me
to see a useful distinction between that case and the "prohibitied" <a
href="">, but perhaps some legal minds would infer differing degrees of
intent on the part of those offering the page with the URL.

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142