Re: Significant W3C Confusion over Namespace Meaning and Policy

Dare Obasanjo wrote:
>>2. If your application requires validity, nothing breaks. You
>>   can't use
>>   xml:id attributes unless you put them in your schema and if you put
>>   them in your schema, they'll work just like any other attributes.
>

> No, they won't. At least not if you are using MSXML or System.Xml in the
> .NET Framework. The same problem exists with xml:base today. In both
> libraries, the assumption we made was that the XML namespace would be
> unchanging.

Based on what grounds did you decide to make such a bold assumption?

> For this reason, we don't allow users to specify a schema
> for the XML namespace but instead always use an internal schema with a
> fixed list of attribute declarations {xml:lang, xml:space}.

Is there anything in the XML Schema spec that makes this behaviour
conformant?

No offense but I find it a touch excessive to make such unreasonable
assumptions and then call the W3C inconsistent because your software is
broken.

--
Robin Berjon
   Research Scientist