Re: Significant W3C Confusion over Namespace Meaning and Policy

On Feb 12, 2005, at 3:49 PM, John Boyer wrote:

> You can set up a signature that causes your additional
> context to break the signature, and you can set one up
> so that it doesn't.  We tend to recommend not creating
> the type of signature you described exactly because it
> permits arbitrary qualifications to the signed data,
> which can be not just of the form you described but also
> of the form not(signed data).

Of what possible relevance is that? The only part that is
signed is the data -- placing context around it does not
change what was signed.

> Changes to the context do
> not affect the serialization over which the hash is
> ultimately computed, then the signature is repudiable.

I cannot parse that sentence because it is missing a word.

> So, because I've spent a long time in the XML security
> space and therefore have volumes and volumes of things
> to say about good versus bad signatures, it does little
> to advance your argument to provide me with a repudiable
> signature and then to say look the signature doesn't
> break when I change the context.

Because it isn't repudiable -- you just claim it is, and your
claim has no basis in fact.

> Then there's the fact that the entire argument is not
> analogous to what's being discussed, which is changes
> that can be made not to surrounding context but
> rather to the very information signed!

Again, that's because you claim the information is signed
whereas everyone else (and the implementation) claim that
the bits are being signed, because that's the only way that
digital signatures can work.

Now, if you want to claim that XML security is completely
broken because it doesn't properly define the bits that
are being signed, then I won't argue with you.  It won't
change my opinion on xml:id, however.

> And what you said in defense of your interpretation of
> namespaces is even more interesting.  You present a
> "latest" definition created in Jan. 2005 that I've
> responded to in Feb. 2005 by saying that it breaks
> stuff when retroactively applied to the interpretation
> of a 1999 spec in recommendations that were let in 2001
> and 2002.

Right, and that is a process issue.  IETF process says the
latest spec updates all technologies that depend on it.
When possible, I always quote from the latest spec.  Feel free
to read RFC 2396 instead, if you wish.

> You may have a dictionary with a lot of definitions for
> the word identify, but you do nothing to address the fact
> that the writings available to us at the time, including the
> policy document on namespace conventions by the W3C director,
> described the use of an expanded name as allowing us to
> distinguish elements or attributes that have different
> interpretations despite having equivalent local names.

That's the same thing I said.

> Why do you find it so unreasonable that the entire XML
> signatures working group would conclude that XML could
> be signed because the meaning of the signed content
> would not be changed?

Because I live in the real world?