Re: Significant W3C Confusion over Namespace Meaning and Policy

John Boyer wrote:

> You are confusing the bag with the stuff in the bag
> (no negative connotation intended).

Your entire premise seems to be based on an article of faith that
collections cannot change. While this position is logically
self-consistent, I find nothing inconsistent in the alternate position
that collections can change. Furthermore, I think allowing mutable
collections of names is more practically useful for the development of
the Web and other XML-based technologies.

In your example, I see no fundamental reason why we should consider the
namespace URI to refer to the stuff in the bag rather than the bag
itself, or vice versa. Pick whichever interpretation is most useful.
more than half a decade's experience had pretty well come down on the
side that it is very problematic to use namespace URIs as a version
control mechanism, so we don't do that.