Re: speech grammar spec recommends xsi:schemaLocation [namespaceDocument-8]

* Dan Connolly wrote:
>I would have thought that
>
><grammar version="1.0"
>         xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/06/grammar">
>
>was sufficient info to ground the document in the web and,
>among other things, find the standard schema. I would think
>that schemaLocation was only useful/necessary in case the
>author meant for the document to match some more constrained
>schema.

That would require built-in knowledge of the combination of attributes
above or some way to resolve the information such that a schema can be
found. Without a centralized registry this would only be possible if the
namespace name resolves to the schema or a reference to it, there isn't
much agreed upon technology for that, and it's certainly not required by
the Schema recommendations.

>Also sent a comment because the namespace document says
>"This namespace may change without notice."
>speech grammar namespace document gives misleading change policy
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-voice/2005OctDec/0075.html

The note is concerned with changing the namespace, the policy you cite
there is mostly concerned with namespace names and namespace URIs, I'm
not sure a namespace and its name are interchangable concepts.

The policy does attempt to talk about stability, but the text does not
really make much sense to me, and does not seem to reflect reality very
well. Issues with the current policy were raised during the xml:id
review; it seems the policy has not been revised since.