Re: httpRange-14: some dimensions of space of positions

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 09:30:05 +0300
Cc: www-tag <www-tag@w3.org>
To: "ext Harry Halpin" <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>

On Apr 29, 2005, at 17:53, ext Harry Halpin wrote:

>  The cleanest way I can think of is just to define a RDDL like
> vocabulary for the representation to return that tells a user in
> good-old HTML that this http:// URI is about a non-information
> resource. Then we can use content negotiation to also
> serve relevant RDF at the URI. After all, we gotta put those RDF
> statements *somewhere*.

I think, in principle, I agree with this approach. Though
insofar as the specific machinery is concerned, my preferred
and recommended solution is to explicitly ask for an RDF
description of the resource identified by the URI, via that
URI, using URIQA[1]. I.e. given the URI "http://sw.nokia.com/uriqq",
one can simply ask

MGET /uriqa HTTP/1.0
Host: sw.nokia.com

(e.g. curl -X MGET "http://sw.nokia.com/uriqa")

and be told by the web authority of the URI (and thus indirectly by
the owner of the URI) as much as can be expressed in RDF and OWL
about the resource in question, insofar as the owner wishes to share
that information.

Or, if preferring to use a centralized, third-party source, e.g.

GET /describe?uri=http://sw.nokia.com/uriqa HTTP/1.0
Host: mother-of-all-knowledgebases.org

(e.g. curl
"http://mother-of-all-knowledgebases.org/describe?uri=http://
sw.nokia.com/uriqa")

And for both cases, use a named graph based trust infrastructure.

And yes, use content negotiation to request particular encodings of
either representations or descriptions of resources.

Cheers,

Patrick

[1] http://sw.nokia.com/uriqa/URIQA.html