Re: new issue? squatting on link relationship names, x-tokens, registries, and URI-based extensibility

This is very timely; the IETF ATOMPUB WG is proposing an Atom-specific
link relation registry as well. I think it would be good to get W3C
review of it, especially if there are coordination issues with the
registry for HTML, etc. (i.e., should they be separate, or one and the
same, or...).

Atom does take an interesting approach WRT what you discuss below; the
content of @rel can have two syntactic forms; it can either be an
absolute URI, or it can be a token which is treated as a URI-reference
with a fixed base (that of the IANA registry for that token namespace).
In this fashion, commonly used relations have a 'shortcut' form in the
registry, and people wanting to define their own relations just use an
absolute URI in their namespace. There are still transition issues, but
at least you don't have collisions.

P.S. QNames (in content) are Evil.