Re: [httpRange-14] Namespace names, Namespace Documents and HTTP URI.

On Apr 6, 2005, at 16:53, ext Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol) wrote:

> Hello Tim,

> Your position wrt to http URI to name namespaces in RDF, that they
> should end in a '#' leads to a convenient distinction between the URI
> (with the '#') which identifies the namespace and the same URI stripped
> of the '#' to identify something else, most likely a
> document/informationResource with RDF, RDDL, XML Schema or plain HTML
> representations that describes the namespace.

(apologies for butting in...)

This convenience is also true for namespace names ending in slash. In
fact, we use this extensively for our vocabularies, e.g.

    http://sw.nokia.com/FN-1         identifies a voc:Vocabulary
    http://sw.nokia.com/FN-1/        used as a namespace name
    http://sw.nokia.com/FN-1/topic   identifies an rdf:Property

And taking Norm's example, it could very well have been

    http://www.w3.org/2005/04/xpath-functions/local-name

which identifies the function and resolves to a representation of
the function; e.g. by redirecting to

    http://www.w3.org/2005/04/xpath-functions#local-name

and

    http://www.w3.org/2005/04/xpath-functions/

used as a namespace name, and resolving to a namespace document;
providing the same convenience, and ability to identify and
access a namespace document the same as if a hash were used.

Thus, there's no convenience offered by hash that is not also
offered by slash.

Just thought I'd point that out.

Regards,

Patrick