RE: "information resource"

From: Bullard, Claude L (Len) <len.bullard@intergraph.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:02:16 -0500
To: 'Chris Lilley' <chris@w3.org>
Cc: 'Jon Hanna' <jon@hackcraft.net>, Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com, skw@hp.com, jacek.kopecky@deri.org, www-tag@w3.org

From: Chris Lilley [mailto:chris@w3.org]

BCLL> Try to conceive of a test for 'information space'.

>Well, one can, with the drawback that everything tested passes. So its
>not usefully testable.

Correct.  And when a term does not discriminate, it conveys no
information (fully entropic).  The term is a placeholder, the
outermost brace, or the set of sets.  You could say it is
the *resource set*, a zero-based origin.  Note I did not
say it is the *web resource set*.

So "information space" is colloquially useful, but not computable
as an ontological member (if I use it as a theory, it does not
identify a resource itself).

len