Re: Information resources?

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:04:11 -0400
To: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
cc: www-tag@w3.org

> But people are going to assign bare, naked http: URIs to physical
> objects, dreams, and states of being. A robust system better be able
> to deal.

Isn't that kind of throwing in the towel?   Maybe it's like saying
browsers should do their best to render everything they find ... vs
give an error for non-well-formed XML.

I wish the TAG would/could resolve something like:

    Some form of indirection (eg fragments, http redirects) SHOULD be
    used between the URIs for things which are not
    sandro:InformationResources and things which are, so that each
    resource can be easily distinguished from web-accessible
    information about it.

> | I'm fond of SlashRedirection [1] for applications like this.  The
> | current URLs work fine -- just issue a redirect (preferably 303 See
> | Other, taking advantage of the actual if not necessarily intended
> | meaning of its documentation).  Everything at purl.org has a redirect
> | in there already, and it seems to work fine.
>
> So http://xmlns.com/wordnet/2.0/Hoary_Marmot redirects to...what?

Perhaps to http://xmlns.com/wordnet/2.0/Hoary_Marmot/about
which is content-negotated to
           http://xmlns.com/wordnet/2.0/Hoary_Marmot/about.rdf
to get the current data.

Or index.rdf like Patrick suggests.

> Nothing is perfect.

Except my love for this thread.   <sigh>   :-)

       -- sandro