Re: Information resources?

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 16:11:52 -0700
Cc: www-tag@w3.org, Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
To: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>

>> Assertions that http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.6/Hoary_Marmot is a web
>> page or has a particular creator or last modified date or
>> what-have-you are inconsistent.
>
> How could web client software not have such assertions interally,
> whether or not expressed as RDF?  My RDF web client software [2],
> infers exactly that when I use that URI.  It says to itself, "that's a
> nice looking URI... maybe I can dereference it and learn
> something... oh, cool, I can... so a Hoary_Marmot is a kind of
> Marmot...  meanwhile, we got back some HTTP headers; let's remember
> the expiration time so we can refresh it when it expires...."

Just to clarify, HTTP metadata can be thought of as a set of properties
with (mostly) well-defined targets.  For example, Expires is not saying
anything about the resource identified by that URI.  It is
representation
metadata, an entity-header, that defines a property of the particular
representation included in the message (or by inference in the case
of 304).

....Roy