RE: Information resources?

From: Joshua Allen <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 13:06:39 -0700
To: "Norman Walsh" <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>, <www-tag@w3.org>

> | This seems to me the crux -- on what basis do you assert they are
> | inconsistent?
>
> I'm appealing to your experience. Given two assertions:
>
>   http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.6/Hoary_Marmot is_a "Hoary Marmot"
>   http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.6/Hoary_Marmot is_a "web page"
>
> objects) will lead you to conclude that those assertions are
> inconsistent.

I have resisted this permathread.  We have been through this so many
times; the second assertion:

http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.6/Hoary_Marmot is_a "web page"

is wrong.  The URI identifies a resource; and the "web page" is a
_representation_ of the resource.  It is not _the_ _resource_.

Furthermore, the first statement is also flawed.  In the context of the
example given; where you are using the WordNet namespace, you can only
say:

http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.6/Hoary_Marmot is_a "word"

URIs are the words of the Internet.  It is really important to use URIs
to denote the things they denote, and not overload them to mean what
they don't mean.

Thanks,
Joshua