Re: Information resources?

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 17:10:29 -0400
To: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

Hmm, I think this paragraph goes too far ...

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 04:30:13PM -0400, Sandro Hawke wrote:
>    Information Resources are the only kind of resources which can have
>    representations.  The number 1, which is not an Information
>    Resource, might be said to be represented by the two-octet sequence
>    0x0001, but not in the sense of "representation" used in this
>    document.

No?  Why not?  It seems to me that it does.

>  A web-accessible control dial, set to "1", might respond
>    to HTTP GET requests with a representation of its state: 0x0001.
>    In this example, 0x0001 acts an identifier for the number 1 within
>    the data format being used.

I think it's representing, not identifying.  If it were an
identifier, it should be a URI (or an EPR, I suppose 8-).

>  An HTTP GET of a URI for the number 1
>    itself could meaningfully be met with an error or redirect, but not
>    with a representation.

Gotta disagree with you there (even before pointing out that errors
and redirects are representations 8-).

I think that Patrick has convinced me that "information resource" is
a cop-out.  *sigh*

Mark.