XML Chunk Equality

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 13:17:01 +0100
To: www-tag@w3.org

Norm,

Editorial comments, mainly  on the examples appendix:

   These elements are different. New line characters are not normalized
   in element content.

Hmm I know what you mean but line endings are normalized, just to #10
not to #32

   These elements are the same. New line characters and whitespace are
   normalized in attribute content.

Assuming that by "new line" you mean one or the other of #10 and #13
these are already whitespace according to the xml defn of whitespace
so the "New line characters and" is superfluous.

If you arrive in that list in appendix B in the middle there's no visual
indication whether the comments refer to the example above or below the
comment as they are equi-spaced. Could you tweak the css a bit so that
the comments moved closer to the example that they are commenting.

   This version:
    http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/xmlChunkEquality-2004-09-07

   This document is also available in these non-normative formats: XML.

Both the "This Version" and "XML format"  links give 404 (I wonder if
those versions aren't information resources:-)

David

http://www.star.net.uk