RE: Information resources?

Well, that depends on what the term "information resource" is
intended to mean, versus what is understood to mean by the masses.

AWWW says "Any resource that has a representation is an information resource."
so if any of the above URIs resolve to representations, then they are,
technically, according to AWWW, information resources. Period.

However, I think that alot of folks (including some Tag members) will expect
information resources to be particular *kinds* of resources, i.e. corresponding
to "bodies of information", and not simply resources which have web-accessible
representations. And such an interpretation clearly goes beyond what is
specified in AWWW.

It is true that Norm must decide about his resources, and he could say things like

 <http://norman.walsh.name/files/2004/09/cars#dbw> rdf:type ex:InformationResource .

(whatever ex:InformationResource means) but saying such things about his resources
doesn't require any particular definition in AWWW -- and any such statement would
anyway be outside the scope of the web machinery.

Hence my recommendation to (a) leave the term out and (b) define any RDF classes
for any particular kinds of resources that folks feel it's important to be
able to identify as such and talk about (though not in AWWW).

--

I reiterate Dan's reference to URI opacity, suggesting that any classifications
of particular kinds of resources is out of scope for the web architecture (layer).

The SW allows us to say what we want/need to say about the resources denoted by
those URIs. The web gives us access to representations of the resources denoted
by those URIs. Thus the web and SW are complementary -- two sides of the same
coin, and that coin is the shared URI space denoting the resources of interest.

Leave the classification of "information resources" to the SW layer, and leave it
out of AWWW.

Respectfully,

Patrick

--