Re: "information resource"

From: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 13:17:36 -0400
Cc: <www-tag@w3.org>
To: <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>

On Sep 1, 2004, at 7:42, <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com> wrote:

> Regarding the August 16 version of "Architecture of the World Wide Web"
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-webarch-20040816/#dereference-uri
> In section 3.1 it states:
> "The term Information Resource refers to resources that convey
> information.
>  Any resource that has a representation is an information resource."
> While I understand the desire to introduce a term which enables people
> to speak directly about resources which are web-accessible, it seems to
> me that this particular term will provide more confusion than utility.
> Since *any* resource *can* (potentially) have a representation, the
> membership of the class of "information resources" is a reflection of
> the management, over time, of those resources, not any intrinsic
> characteristic of the resources themselves.

Actually, the document uses the term "representation" only for the
relationship between an information resource and its Representation.

If there is a dog, a picture of the dog, and a representation (bits and
metadata) of the picture, then the document would say that the dog is
the subject of the picture, that the picture has a representation in
the (bits + metadata).

The document makes the distinction between a dog and the picture
because it needs to (especially later on for semantic web things) even
though the HTTP spec doesn't really need to.

So, in the terms of the document, only information resources have
There was a lot of confusion, expressed in last call comments, before
this distinction was introduced.  An information resource is something
like a picture, text message, or poem, which conveys information.

Tim BL

Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (Darwin)