Re: XML Chunk Equality

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:25:58 -0400
To: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

At 1:17 PM +0200 10/27/04, Robin Berjon wrote:

  they will. That being said, I'd be reluctant to ask the TAG to
modify the finding to specifically address Java. The best it could do
would be to say "locales are evil, and the best way of using them is
not at all".

I don't think the finding should specifically address Java, either.
However, it needs to be aware of how its wording will be interpreted
by Java programmers, and choose the phrasing accordingly. The current
statement that "Languages are compared case insensitively." will
cause Java programmers to write
value.toUppercase().equals(otherValue) which will fail in some
environments. If instead it were to write, for example, "Values of
the language attribute are compared by first converting the
characters a-z to the characters A-Z and then comparing for string
equality" more Java programmers would get this right. I'm still not
perfectly happy with that wording. I'd like to say that non-ASCII
characters are not changed, but you get the idea.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu