Re: referendum on httpRange-14 (was RE: "information resource")

At 14:31 20/10/04 -0400, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
>What was constant between the two uses of the URI?
>The meaning of the message: that the doc has had puppies.
>That is why we need the concept of the Information Resource.
>When two representations are of the same Information Resource,
>they should convey the same information.

Aha!  This information resource idea begins to gain greater clarity (for me).

In talking to people about Semantic Web and knowledge representation
issues, I'm keen to head off open-ended talk about "meaning".  In the
context of "knowledge representation" I refer to "knowledge", as distinct
from data, as expressible assertions whose truth is independent of the form
of expression.  This may be an abuse of the word "knowledge", but I'll use
it for now.

Your comment suggests that, using this terminology, an information resource
is any resource that consists (entirely) of knowledge.  ("knowledge resource"?)

I remain agnostic about the httpRange-14 issue, but if there's any
consensus emerging around a clarification of relevant concepts here, that
has to help the discussion.

#g

Graham Klyne
For email: