RE: [Fwd: RE: "information resource"]

From: Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol) <skw@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:00:14 +0100
To: "Mark Baker" <distobj@acm.org>
Cc: <www-tag@w3.org>

> > >Consider that if I'm provided two URIs, one which identifies "an
XML
> > >representation of my medical record at time T" (where T is fixed)
and
> > >the other which identifies "an XML representation of my current
> > >medical record", then if I invoke GET on each at time T, I get two
> > >equivalent representations back.
> > >I suggest that what makes those two resources different is an
> > >"essential characteristic", and because it isn't reflected in the
> > >messages,
> > >

> > Small point... but that would depend on whether you regarded the
> > request URI (or URI returned in header fields) part of any of the
> > messages exchanged.
>
> I don't believe so.  The response messages would certainly be
> different if the URIs were included, but not different in a
> way which licenses the recipient to determine whether the
> essential characteristic I'm describing is present or not.

You stated that a distinguishing "essential charateristic" isn't
reflected in the messsages. I was remarking that the distinguishing
characteristic is 'reflected' in the use of (at least) different request
URI... (the request message being one of the messages exchanged to
obtain a response).

> Mark.
> --
> Mark Baker.   Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.        http://www.markbaker.ca