Re: [Fwd: RE: "information resource"]

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 08:01:09 -0400
To: Stuart Williams <skw@hp.com>
cc: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org

>        "An "information resource" is a resource which constitutes a body
> of information."?

If the current text can be revised again without the worms all
getting away, I would advocate that we already have a nice simple
word with a close-enough dictionary meaning: "Document".

The meanings are all over the place, but here are some:

 * Something, such as a recording or a photograph, that can be used to
   furnish evidence or information.
 * something (as a writing, photograph, or recording) that may be used
   as evidence
 * ...any writing, book, or other instrument conveying information...
 * writing that provides information
 * anything serving as a representation of a person's thinking by
   means of symbolic marks
 * a computer file that contains text (and possibly formatting
   instructions) using 7-bit ASCII characters [ :-) ]
 * A term used on some systems (e.g. Intermedia) for a hypertext node.

(all from http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=document&r=67)

My semantic web browser infers from "200 OK" responses that the
resource is a Document.  I'm very interested in any examples of this
seeming incorrect.   (I have a few examples of RDF classes and
properties with URIs served like that; I'd like an example from the
non-semantic web.)

      -- sandro