citing Shannon on Information Theory

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:47:47 -0500
To: www-tag@w3.org
Further to...

"NM suggested that Claude Shannon's work on information theory might
provide a suitable definition"
  -- http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2004/10/05-07-tag#infores2

I'm still not to the point where I understand well enough
to cite Shannon's work, I think I know what the canonical
work is now:

"It is generally believed that the modern discipline of information
theory began with the publication of Shannon's article "The Mathematical
Theory of Communication" in the Bell System Technical Journal in July
and October of 1948."
  -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_theory

I'm slowly swapping in that part of wikipedia.