Re: 3023 update (was Re: Agenda TAG Telcon: 8th Nov 2004)

* Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com> [2004-11-20 19:35-0800]

> On Nov 20, 2004, at 3:00 PM, Dare Obasanjo wrote:
>
> >That is a very significant generalization you've made there.
> >Considering that both IIS and Apache default to serving files that end
> >in ".xml" as some */xml MIME type are you claiming that they are both
> >buggy or that every time someone puts a file that ends in ".xml" on
> >the Web it is a bug?
>
> I think that a file whose extension is .xml is usually evidence of a
> bug, yes.  Because the file is usually something else (often RSS), and
> the .xml is hiding that. -Tim

Oh, interesting. This shakes out slightly differently in RDF, where often
we're never sure if it's a "Dublin Core", "FOAF", "Creative Commons",
"DOAP,"Wordnet", "MusicBrainz" or "FOAF" file, since those
vocabs/namespaces only define dictionaries of terms that can get mixed t
ogether. The mixing is a blessing and a curse. RSS1 is a little different
'cos the spec (just about...) defines a document class too...

So RDF files are typically served application/rdf+xml though often
they have a "dominant namespace" whose presence drives the data
structures, with other namespaces typically being somewhat
annotational in their use.

Dan