Re: Fragmentation of document formats on the Web

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 11:17:34AM -0700, Dare Obasanjo wrote:
> The entire point of XML is so to enable a proliferation (or to use your
> words "fragmentation") of document formats on the Web. It seems you are
> asking the W3C to reverse its position on XML and its associated family
> of technologies.

I wouldn't say that this was the point of XML.  IMO, it's simply to have
an interchangeable markup syntax, which is just what we've got.  Nothing
about that precludes further innovation "on top" of XML to address the
scalability issues of, well, a proliferation of XML document formats.
8-)

IMO, RDF/XML is such an innovation (and more generally, RDF itself), so
I think the W3C has that part of the problem covered.  But obviously
David's paper discusses the more general problem.

Mark.