Re: Thoughts on top-level domains, esp. .mobi

Robert,

You make, in
http://www.w3.org/mid/20040506155532.93858A1FB7@frink.w3.org
some very good points.  I agree that the country codes
are great, and I encourage anything which is definitively based on a
geographic
location to use them.   I think that tourisim.anytown.ma.us beats
anytowntourist.org in many ways.  The semantics make sense, and also
the delegation of authority can follow
existing geographical social systems which already exist. This means
that
the protocol for unique names is much less stressed.

I'd also be in favor of new domains is one could for example mandate
the persistence of web  URLs.

But .mobi  seems to pick on an ill-defined, transient property of
anything or anyone that they be mobile. So the positive reasons do not
apply.

Tim