Re: [Agenda] 3 May 2004 TAG teleconf (AC meeting presentation, LC issues)

On Monday, May 3, 2004, 7:30:09 PM, Chris wrote:

CL> On Friday, April 30, 2004, 2:39:26 AM, Ian wrote:

IBJ>>   2.1 Top Level Domains used as filters (.xxx, .mobile, etc.)

IBJ>>     1. Action CL 2004/03/29: Send a draft to www-tag explaining why the
IBJ>>        .mobile proposal is misinformed. If the TAG supports the proposal,
IBJ>>        send to ICANN on the official mailing list ([15]Proposed)
IBJ>>     2. Action IJ 2004/03/29: Talk to DJW about sending a proposal to the
IBJ>>        TAG (focusing on social issues) that the TAG could review and
IBJ>>        possibly endorse. Progress; I chatted with DJW; haven't had
IBJ>>        further discussion.

CL> Link for easy discussion with this agenda item:

CL> RFC 3675
CL> .sex Considered Dangerous
CL> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3675.txt

CL> Most of section 4 is applicable to the wider problem, not just the
CL> euphemistically named 'adult' problem.

CL> There is also a comment forum (closed since November 2000 about new
CL> tlds discussing .ads, .shop and so on
CL> http://forum.icann.org/tldapps/index.html

CL> Interesting message wondering whether ICANN (or indeed the US Govt.)
CL> "owns" all non-existent tlds and can sell them off to raise cash
CL> (argument in this posting is about .web)

CL> http://forum.icann.org/tldapps/39F6A5E400000A30.html

CL> More about the .web tld
CL> https://www.webtld.com/
Note they are not using their own tld because it doesn't work.

Yet more from https://www.webtld.com/info_faq.asp

>> # I cannot see .Web™ names from my browser. What's wrong?

>> The simple answer is that the Internet's root servers, the domain
>> name servers that essentially "run the Internet" have not had Image
>> Online Design's .Web™ added to them at this time. Until such time
>> as this happens, .Web™ domains are not visible to the Internet as a
>> whole. You can, however, see .Web™ domains if you use our DNS
>> servers. Detailed information on how to do this will be posted
>> shortly - we're in the process of installing new servers, which
>> require new instructions.

>> # Will people be able to send me E-Mail at my .Web™ address?

>> The same problem with the root servers with regards to browsers
>> exists for e-mail, and all other Internet services. This is the
>> problem we are trying to address at this time.

>> # So how much are you charging?

>> .Web™ domains are available for $35 per year, with a discount of $5
>> per year for each year registered beyond the first. So, for 2 years
>> it's $65, and for 3 years it's $95.

So they can be registered, paid for, and not used for anything,
but put on hold currently.

>> You're charging money - Will there be refunds if you do not succeed?

>> The money collected for registrations is helping to pay for our
>> infrastructure for the registry. Every .Web™ domain registered is
>> support for the expansion of the Internet domain name system and is
>> greatly appreciated. As such, there will not be refunds. Note,
>> however, than when you pay for a year of registration in .Web™,
>> your year does not begin until Image Online Design's .Web™ is in
>> the Internet's root name servers.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group